About ProcterProcter Bros. History
The Procter business was originally established in 1740 by William Varley, with the business of today operating five separate divisions - Machine Guarding, Fencing Systems and Sliding Gates, Concrete and Fencing Products, Cast Stone Architectural Features and Pest Control Products.In all its businesses, Procter aims to combine the best aspects of traditional craftsmanship and care for its customers and employees, with up to date technology and production methods.
During the 18th and 19th centuries the business was mainly involved in the manufacture of a wide range of agricultural and domestic wire products from a number of small factories in Yorkshire.
The trading name of Procter Bros, was introduced in 1884 by John and Charles Procter, and it was under their control that the company really started to develop its identity as specialist wireworkers. The company today is managed by John's great grandson, Jeremy, and his great great grandson, also called John, is also working in the business.
In 1897, a Leeds inventor called James Henry Atkinson invented a better mousetrap which he named "The Little Nipper". He asked Procters to manufacture these for him and in 1913 the company purchased the rights for £2,000. This was the start of today's comprehensive range of domestic pest control products.
With the outbreak of the First World War the company had gained considerably in stature and was involved in numerous government contracts, one particular instance being the supply of strong woven wire for use as a bomb proof guard over the roof of Buckingham Palace.
In the twenties and thirties the company continued to develop its manufacturing base with a wide range of products such as machine guards, riddles, sieves, fireguards and wire fencing being produced.
During the Second World War output was dramatically changed with the company supplying the military with parts for Bailey Bridges, parachute frames, and special wire mesh suitable for aircraft landing strips in sandy or marshy locations, plus fencing for virtually all the country's aerodromes. A factory was established in Cardiff and later moved to its current site at Bedwas.
After the war the company reverted to its pre-war manufacturing base, supplying both the retail and industrial sectors through the fifties and into the early sixties.
In the mid sixties the business was restructured to concentrate exclusively on the specialist fencing and machine guarding sectors of the industry, while continuing to manufacture its famous Little Nipper mouse and rat traps.
Today from its sites in Garforth, near Leeds, and Bedwas in South Wales, Procter is a market leader with its nationwide fencing and machine guarding services that integrate the best of traditional skills with the latest techniques and services. Prestigious contracts in recent years include the railings and ornamental gates of Kensington Palace, redevelopment of Arsenal's Highbury Stadium and major guarding projects for the London Underground Jubilee Line, significant projects in every UK motor industry plant and in the USA for Ingersoll's Chrysler project.
Numerous new pest control products have been introduced to broaden the range of the Procter Pest-Stop brand, and at Garforth a range of cast stone architectural features is providing strong growth to supplement its traditional fencing and concrete products. From its Garforth and South Wales sites, Procter supplies a comprehensive range of fencing materials to the trade.
Still very much a family firm, Procter Bros. recognises the need to develop its products, its markets and staff to meet the challenges of global business and to secure the future success of the business.